Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why Should a PASTOR'S Wife be Political?!

How can a pastor's wife be so political? First, I come by it organically, my family is devotedly Republican, thus my roots. People I love and deeply respect have become involved politically, and they have made a difference. Real experience has not jaded my perspective.
But why me? Don't I fear being divisive and offending people at church? Sure, that is a concern. But I make no apologies any more. (Even though I don't "talk politics" at church. I AM careful.)
But again, why?
When we moved to California, I attended a few community Republican meetings, to 'take the temperature' and see what was being said and done in California. What I saw eventually prompted me to emerge from the back of the room where I had sat silently watching and learning, eventually taking a leadership role in the particular organization I joined.
Again, why?
When we first arrived, Gray Davis was on the verge of what ultimately became a recall. Then, when Arnold became governator it was exciting to be part of all that; but subtley and deliberately, the tone in the Republican Party began to change... they needed to be more "inclusive" (oh oh, that's bad - code-words, code-words!!!) You see, up to that point, the Republican Party had been the only highly visible civic organization that was pro-life....but then began the pressure to "reform" the party. This was wrong, and I decided not to sit silently and allow it. One person who speaks to the best convictions in the room can make a tremendous difference in the direction a political organization takes; in this particular case, in El Dorado County, California. Saying uncomfortable truth makes a difference, it emboldens the squeamish.
So, as long as abortion is at issue, I will speak out. Liberal Feminists along with most Democrats, (you may be the exception, but until now, throughout the past thirty years, you have been shoved under the rug politically) anyway, these groups have transformed the womb, once the most benevolent place on earth, into an execution chamber for ONE out of EVERY FOUR BABIES.
And now they're trying to kill the old and feeble.
So when that changes, I'll shut up. Until then, forget about it.

No comments: